Tuesday, March 16, 2010

3rd Coachee

This coaching session was nice and very enjoyable. I actually found myself talking with Rachel, not even thinking about the questions set forth in the assignment, but still addressing them through both mine and Rachel’s passion for inquiry and emotional understanding. She is amazing as a coach.

I did a lot of thinking about the assignment before we spoke. I was able to come to the conclusion that what I was struggling with was outward suspension. I not only struggled with mustering up the confidence to be vulnerable, but also finding a way so that when I expressed my I-I statement, it didn’t come off as patronizing or possibly offensive. This was something both my coachee and coach dealt with and maybe something we need to inquire more about.

After reflecting on the past weeks in this course I felt that suspending was my biggest issue. I now see that I was honing in on work where there is right and wrong with respect to our clients. I find that suspending in this environment is more difficult. I forgot how well I was able to suspend in my informal conversation and, have lately been so entranced in my career that I, forgot to apply this skill to my work. I have enjoyed bringing myself back to what I do for a living. I still need to give way to the fear that I may get taken advantage of, and in doing so may, negatively impact my job.

I did venture back to an idea I had about supplying my staff, or that person whom I am conversing with in these assignments, with some background information as to what we are trying to accomplish in this course. We are only able to know how to navigate these fields by being inter mixed with these concepts and vocabulary through this course. This allows us to come to a different understanding of what dialogue can be. I think, when not in a situation as an extreme conflict, but one common in our everyday lives, everyone must be aware and understanding of “suspending” and all other fields in order to have a deep dialogue experience. I think scheduling and sharing with our partners what we are trying to do will help the conversation go beyond field 1 and 2. I will attempt this in my next assingments and see what happens

No comments:

Post a Comment